Wednesday, July 22, 2009

kirbyourmusic: Jazmine Sullivan sings "Home" from "The Wiz" at age 11



I'm a firm believer that Jazmine Sullivan is one of the most underrated artists out here. Not only is her voice immaculate, it's soulful too. So while I was random Youtube-ing, I came across her singing "Home" from The Wiz at the age 11. Now The Wiz is one of my all-time favorite musicals, and Diana Ross to me sung "Home" the best out of all the various Dorothys on Broadway (but of course my opinion is biased since I'm a hardcore Diana Ross fan, lol). So I was a little critical about how a child at age 11 could do justice to a song as deep as "Home". I mean, the lyrics evoke a longing and a passion that I feel that only someone with a little more experience (i.e. older) can bring out. But after seeing/hearing this Youtube video, there was no doubt in my mind that Jazmine Sullivan SAAANG that song. There were parts that I wanted to get up and shout because she just sung the hell out of it. I even had to say that she beat Ms. Ross (and if anybody knows me, that's a huge compliment). So please enjoy this song and this artist because it's only people like us that can get music back to the way it should be, and Miss Sullivan is definitely a prime example. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment